Giant Army is looking for someone with a strong background in both software development and physics to join our team and help improve Universe Sandbox ².
You will work with our team’s scientists and developers to create and improve real-time geophysical and astrophysical simulation. Your role is crucial in ensuring the scientific accuracy of simulations in Universe Sandbox ².
We strongly prefer a candidate with practical implementation experience over one with a high-level, theoretical background. In other words, we’re looking more for a good developer with an interest in science, rather than a good scientist with an interest in software development.
This is a full-time, remote position.
Join us. We’re making something incredible that’s unlike anything else.
Your Initial Role
- Work with our team’s scientists and director to define a problem and iteratively determine the best numerical solution that meets computational constraints
- Quickly prototype new ideas and estimate computational costs
- Examples of simulation improvements needed:
- Real-time generic climate modeling (calculating temperature, pressure, greenhouse effect, terraforming, etc.)
- Planetary composition and material system (metallic hydrogen in gas giants, simulating subsurface oceans on moons, etc.)
- Simplistic life simulation that impacts the atmospheric composition of planets (extinction events, spread of life across a planet’s surface)
- Experience with practical physics programming
- Loves physics simulations and fantastical what-if scenarios: what-if.xkcd.com (note citation #6 on 148)
- Excited about developing a tool that allows users to experiment with simulations, pushing the boundaries of what has been done in real-time for public consumption
- Experience working with Unity
- Developer with C# and C++ experience
- Solid grasp of computer science topics and algorithms
- Solid understanding of mathematics and physics (ideally bachelor-level or higher)
- Experience with writing efficient, real-time, interactable code
- Ability to take complex concepts and models and condense them into performant code
- Passion for sharing science and astronomy with the world
- Self-driven, self-motivated, and good at communication (spoken and written English)
- Works collaboratively (and remotely)
Giant Army is the company behind Universe Sandbox ². Our headquarters are in Seattle, Washington, USA, with team members across the United States, Germany, and Denmark.
Team members enjoy a flexible, collaborative environment. We strive for work-life balance, and we pursue the features that get us excited about science. We do the work so that we can share that with others. We’re committed to creating an accessible experience that can’t be found elsewhere.
Science is for everyone, and we welcome all qualified applicants.
Universe Sandbox ² is a space simulator that merges real-time gravity, climate, collision, and physical interactions to reveal the beauty of our universe and the fragility of our planet. It’s more than a game; it’s a way of experiencing and learning about reality in a way that’s never been done before.
Universe Sandbox ² was recently named the Best VR Experience of 2016 by the Escapist and has a ‘Very Positive’ rating on Steam with 93% positive user reviews out of over 3000+.